Westland Lysander Mk.III V9312 (G-CCOM)
- Westland Lysander Mk.III
- Operator: Aircraft Restoration Company
- Year of Manufacture: 1940
- Powered by: one Bristol Mercury.
- Colour Scheme: Royal Air Force No. 225 Sqn. 1940/41
Lysander V9312 (G-CCOM) has been owned by the Aircraft Restoration Company since 2003 and was restored to flying condition by a team of full time and volunteer engineers. It was built by Westlands during 1940 and is believed to be the only solely Westland built Lysander to be restored to airworthy condition in the UK, the others having incorporated Canadian built components.
The aircraft was taken on charge by the RAF at 33 M.U. at Lynham on 4th January 1941 and subsequently served with 613, 225 and 4 Squadrons.
On 26th April 1942, whilst serving with 4 Squadron, V9312 suffered Category B accident damage to a wing. This was repaired at Fairfield, Watford and whilst there it was converted to target tug status. The aircraft was then sent to Liverpool, from where it sailed to Canada arriving on 18th October 1942.
Whilst in Canada V9312 served with the Commonwealth Air Training Plan at Mossbank, Saskatchewan, where it last flew on 30th October 1944.
V9312 was struck off charge in October in 1946 and later came into the possession of Harry Wherreat at Assiniboa, Saskatchewan along with several other aircraft. The Lysander was then sold to Kermit Weeks at Polk City, Florida who planned to restore the aircraft but no work was done. It was acquired by ARCo in unrestored condition and arrived at Duxford on 4th June 2003.
After 15 years of restoration, at 6pm on the evening of 8th August 2018, the ‘Lizzie’s’ nine cylinder Bristol Mercury Engine burst into life for the first time since 30th December 1944. On the 28th August 2018 she took to the skies.
Images: Aircraft Restoration Company