Supermarine Spitfire MkIa (G-AIST)
• Aircraft Type: Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia
• Operator: Spitfire The One Ltd.
• Year of Manufacture: 1941
• Powered by: Rolls Royce Merlin 35
• Colour Scheme: 71 Eagle Sqn. RAF
Built by the Westland Aircraft Factory, Yeovil, UK in 1941. Delivered to No.12 M.U Kirkbride and relegated to training duties. She ended up at No.7 O.T.U. Harwarden. Following a number of landing accidents she was struck off charge in November 1945. She was purchased by Group Captain Allen Henry Wheeler in October 1946. Made airworthy for the movie ‘Battle of Britain’ as N3311/A1-13. She was acquired by Patrick Lindsay in 1974. A number of ownership changes followed until acquired by the current owner: Spitfire The One Ltd.
Images: Darren Harbar