Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI (G-OXVI)
Type: Supermarine Spitfire Mk XVI (Low Back)
Operator: Spitfire Ltd
Year of Manufacture: 1945
Powered by: Rolls Royce Packard Merlin
Colour Scheme: 74 Squadron 2nd Tactical Air Force May 1945
TD248 was built by Vickers Armstrong (Castle Bromwich) Ltd in 1944 and released to service on 11th May 1945. She was delivered to No. 6 MU at Brize Norton and prepared for service with 695 Squadron based at Bircham Newton in Norfolk. The aircraft was withdrawn from service in 1947 following damage. After repair she returned to service in 1948. In 1951 TD248 was transferred to No.2 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit at Little Snoring, Norfolk. No.2 CAACU and used for calibration flights and target towing. TD248 was withdrawn from service and stored in 1953 and in 1955 she was issued to No. 610 Squadron for static display at Hooton Park, Cheshire. Historic Flying Ltd acquired TD248 in 1988 and restored her. The aircraft flew again in 1992. Today TD248 wears the colour scheme of No. 74 Squadron 2nd Tactical Air Force 1945 and is operated by Spitfires Ltd and maintained by the Aircraft Restoration Company.
Images: Darren Harbar