Grumman Bearcat F8F (G-RUMM)
• Aircraft Type: Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation F8F-2P Bearcat
• Operator: The Fighter Collection
• Year of Manufacture: 1948
• Powered by: one Pratt and Whitney R-2800-73
• Colour scheme: VF20 US Navy
The Bearcat design was the Grumman response to the US Navy’s request in the latter war years for a fast responsive fighter to be deployed in the Pacific Theatre. The type did not see operational service during the Second World War as the conflict ended but it was used to great effect in French Indo-China with the French Air Force. The Bearcat could actually outperform many of the early Jet fighter aircraft of the period.
Images: John Dibbs